Friday, October 23, 2015

Fall Update - Asia

Hello!

I am going to Asia!  I will be leaving on October 29th (yes, that is ONE WEEK from yesterday!) and returning November 16th.  I will be working with Wycliffe Associates (WA) new program called MAST.  MAST stands for Mobilized Assistance Supporting Translation.

In a nutshell the MAST methodology works with multiple teams of national translators, consultants, and accuracy checkers that work side by side to translate portions simultaneously, rather than a single team translating their way through the Scriptures sequentially.  MAST is cutting translation times by more than half.  Wycliffe Associates has been using this new methodology for a little over a year.

If you would like more details on MAST, please let me know. Below is a link to a 9 minute video explaining MAST in more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYDwDElACk
The last week was crazy busy with the 8th Bible Translation Conference 2015 (BT2015).  It is a biennial conference for those that are affiliated in some way to Bible translation around the world.   There were 450 people in attendance from 43 difference organizations, and they flew in from 69 different countries.  It was a great opportunity for education on the latest information and strategies regarding translation, but also communication, networking, renewing friendships, and fellowship with those that share a passion for translation.  The conference went very well!  We had several volunteers come from around the United States specifically to help with the conference. 
I had a good time in Orlando in July!  I enjoyed a few sunrises at the beach (see pictures below) and time with friends.  I also ended up working a little bit. I added a week to the end of my trip to Orlando to do a Translation Notes Workshop.  We worked on Translator Notes for the book of John and Exodus 1-11. It was very interesting to look at the Bible in a different way.  Instead of looking at the Bible from an exegetical perspective, we tried to simplify it, find key words to define, explain metaphors, etc...  It was a whole different way of thinking.    
Praises:
My time in Orlando was good and my travel safe.

The Translation Workshop went well and we exceeded the goals set.

I am really excited to go on this trip!

The Bible Translation Conference went well logistically and many people were edified and have renewed vision as they continue their work.
If you would like to send financial support, please click HERE.
Prayer Requests:
Please pray for the translators, facilitators (that's me), and consultants. Please pray for the Holy Spirit's guidance as God's Word is translated.

I have had vertigo for over a week. Please pray it would stop spinning!  I have experienced a lot of spiritual warfare lately...

Please pray for safe travel for the team of facilitators.

Please pray for team unity.

Please continue to pray for my support.  It is still very low.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yoohoo! One day left and you are on your way! Praising God for giving you this opportunity to work with translation firsthand. - Pam