Thursday, June 9, 2011

I Cor 13 - Bible Translator's Adaptation...


Though I speak with the tongue of a national, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 

And though I wear the national dress, and understand culture, and all forms of etiquette, 
and though I copy all mannerisms, so that I could pass for a national, and have not love, I am nothing.


And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, 
and though I spend my energy without reserve, 
and have not love, it profits me nothing.  

Love suffers long hours of language study, and is kind to those who mock its accent; love envies not those who stayed home; love does not exalt its own culture, is not proud of its national superiority, Does not boast about the way we do it at home, seeks not her own ways, is not easily provoked to tell about the beauty of her home country, thinks not evil about this culture; Rejoices not in the deficiencies, but rejoices in the advantages of this culture; Bears all criticism about its home culture, believes all good things about this new culture, confidently anticipates being at home in this place, endures all inconveniences.  Love never fails; but where there is cultural anthropology, it shall fail; where there is contextualization, is could lead to syncretism; where there is linguistics, it shall change.  For we know only part of the culture, and we minister to only part.  But when Christ is reproduced in this culture, then our inadequacies shall be insignificant.

When I was in America, I spoke as an American, I understood as an American, I thought as an American; but when I left America, I put away American things.  Now we adapt to the culture awkwardly; but He will live in it intimately; now I speak in a stammering tongue; but He will speak to the heart.  And now abides these three: cultural adaptation, language study, love; but the greatest of these is love.


Adapted by Mark Anderson, appearing in Great Commission Ministries Mission E.U.R.O.P.E. newsletter, Sept 2001.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I encourage you to place on your heart the original version of this Scripture .. I pray faith, hope, and love abound as you prepare to leave. Prayers going your way!

Paula said...

Thanks Barbara