Monday, January 3, 2011

The Tboli People - A letter sent to my partners in December





December 20, 2010


Before Bible translators went to live among the Tboli of the Philippines, the Tboli believed in another life after death.  They believed this life was connected to eternity by a bridge, and on this bridge was an evil spirit.  The evil spirit was there to try to push people off the bridge into the abyss.  The only way to overcome this spirit was to have light, and the way to get light was to be burned.  So, parents would take bits of cotton dipped in kerosene, light them, and place them on the arms of their small children to burn them and produce scars.  The more scars you had, the brighter your light was, and the more possible it was for you to make it across the bridge to the next life successfully. This practice continued while the translators worked on the translation and finally the people read in the book of John where Jesus said, “I am the light of the world.”

If you were to visit the Tboli today you would see children playing happily, unscarred. If you were to ask the Tboli why they no longer scar their children they would answer you, “Jesus is our light. Jesus bears the scars.  Jesus will get us safely across the bridge.”

It is because of testimonies like this, that I consider it a privilege to serve as the Wycliffe Associates Site Volunteer Coordinator in Dallas, Texas.  People often ask what I do in my assignment at the International Linguistics Center.  It is my responsibility to process and mobilize several hundred volunteers who come through Dallas each year, and it is my joy to watch as the volunteers see first-hand how their service in Dallas effects missions in over 80 countries!  It is my responsibility to make sure there is good communication between Wycliffe Associates and our ministry partners on the Center (SIL, Wycliffe USA, Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, The Seed Company, and Pioneer Bible Translators). 

It is because of this worldwide impact I have on Bible translation that I want to continue serving in Dallas and abroad, and watch as God works in the lives of the millions that are receiving His word through Bible Translation.

As 2010 comes to an end, would you consider giving a special gift for my ministry so that I can continue this important work in Dallas?  As many of you know I started Wycliffe Associates with a transitional salary, but my support has not kept up with the transition and I am experiencing a large shortfall.  Several of you have joined my team and started to support me monthly or sent in one time gifts and I am very grateful for each of you.  However, I am currently over $2,000 dollars short per month and will not be able to continue serving if the funds don’t come in.  Please pray with me that God will supply this need.  If you are able to help, please make your check payable to “Wycliffe Associates,” put fund code M08730 on the memo, and mail it back with the response card.  If you would prefer to give online, please go to http://wycliffeassociates/links/donatenow and follow the instructions.   (Type “Paula” or “Oestreich” in the search box).

Thank you for partnering with me to bring the message of hope to the world through Bible translation.

In His Service, 
Paula 


No comments: